PROPERTY LAW PALMERSTON NORTH
Your home and your land is often your biggest asset. You need somebody who is experienced and trustworthy when you either buy, sell or refinance your property. I am also experienced in private house sales through Trade Me and Facebook where no real estate agents are involved.
Need a Property Lawyer in Palmerston North? Reduce the risk of problems by contacting me first. Tell me what you are planning and I will advise you on what I think are your best options to get your best result. For example, ownership may be an issue if you are buying a property with a partner and one of you pays more than the other. That raises relationship property issues. Similarly, ownership is important if you are self-employed because of the risk of losing your home to creditors if the home is unprotected.
If you are buying or selling a house or farm or plan on subdividing or building a new home I can advise you about:
- Drafting or checking the agreement for sale and purchase
- Legal documents
- Land Information Memorandum (LIM) reports
- Making and getting a Residential Property Information Enquiry Report
- Builder’s Guarantees and warranties
- Assisting with finance and insurance
- Moving money about so that it gets to the correct party
- Registering the title and reporting to any bank on a purchase
- Advising on contracting-out agreements or family trusts
PRE-PURCHASE DUE DILIGENCE
I have written a short checklist of the main practical matters you should consider when buying your house. The most important thing is finding your price range so that you focus on properties that fall within that. Read more here
KIWISAVER WITHDRAWALS AND HOMESTART GRANTS
You may be able to withdraw some of your Kiwisaver savings (provided you leave a minimum balance of $1,000 in your account) to use towards purchasing your first home (it can sometimes be used for a second home but you should contact me about that). I can help you with the quite challenging application process so that it is done correctly and in time. Read more here
After 3 years’ contributing to kiwisaver, you may be entitled to a Kiwisaver Homestart grant. They are administered by Housing New Zealand and are paid to your solicitor on your behalf as part of the purchase price of your first new home. I can help you with this application process so that it is done properly and in time. Read more
SUB-DIVISIONS AND INVESTMENT PROPERTIES
I am experienced at sub-dividing land and can advise you if you can or can’t subdivide and whether any subdivision is non-notified (easier) or notified (more complicated). I can explain the process and what is involved in either case.
Investment properties often raise ownership and taxation issues (the best form of ownership for reducing potential tax exposure). I often advise clients about this.
CURRENT CONVEYANCING FEES (ESTIMATES)
I have been practising property law since 2001. I am a sole practitioner with relatively less overheads. I try to be available and accessible during working hours. I have total command of word processing skills, access to Landonline and conducting all aspects of settlements (I have my own solicitor’s trust account). I have set my current charges to reflect all of these factors and at a rate which I feel are fair to both me and my clients for routine conveyancing services. However I reserve the right to change these current charges as I choose. I charge extra if the transaction is more involved. I will discuss that with you first.
I DO NOT CHARGE LEGAL FEES IF AN OFFER ON A PROPERTY IS UNSUCCESSFUL
Selling (total estimated cost)
- With a mortgage – $999.00
- Without a mortgage – $899.00
Purchasing (total estimated cost)
- With a mortgage – $1,399 to $1,499 (if a homestart grant and kiwisaver funds involved)
- Without a mortgage – $1,049.00
- Selling and purchasing – $2,298.00 (with mortgages)
- REFINANCE – $849.00
BUYING, SELLING OR REFINANCING PROPERTY – MY PHILOSOPHY
I offer a complete residential legal service for Buying, Selling and Refinancing your property.
My approach to conveyancing is to keep the client, agent, bank and mortgage broker fully informed about what is going on. I know that buying or selling a house is stressful and can often involve one of the biggest decisions of your life. I try and take the pressure off you as much as I can so that the experience is more enjoyable and successful. Many of my reviews are from very satisfied property clients.
I commit that:
- I will explain what is involved as clearly as possible
- I will guide you through the whole process
- I will offer competitive fees that enable you to budget this into your finances
- I will keep you fully informed about what is happening at all times
- Search property titles
- Draft agreements for sale and purchase
- Advise you if you need to protect your property in a family trust or a contracting-out agreement
- Advise you about how to own the property as a joint tenant or tenant in common
- Guide you about investment properties
- Liaise with the real estate agent and the solicitor for the other side to help you get an unconditional contract on the property
- Liaise with your bank to get the loan or mortgage discharge documents sent to me in plenty of time before settlement
- Tell you about applying for the Housing New Zealand Home Loan Subsidy and liasing with your Kiwisaver scheme provider about releasing your topped-up funds to be used towards paying the purchase price of the house
If you would like to find out more about my conveyancing services call me now on 929 4669 or fill out the online enquiry form.
Property Lawyer Palmerston North – Jeremy McGuire